Thursday, October 9, 2008

Two Dinners

Wednesday

For a quick and easy meal I made Taco Soup... kind of. That makes it sound like there was meat in it and there wasn't. It was essentially the same dinner I made Monday but in soup form. All I did was combine about one cup of the beans + juice, one 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, the rest of the (15 oz) can of corn from Monday, and a some water (about one cup) to get it to soup consistency, and then heated it up. After dishing it up, I topped it with shredded cheddar, sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips. I served it with some warm tortillas. Voila! Dinner is served!

Thursday



I thought I would make some chili but didn't have ground beef or turkey and I really didn't want to go to the store for one thing. Then I realized I could make some quick chicken chili. I got some cornbread in the oven and then got to work. Here's the rundown:
- Prep: Defrost and cut into small pieces two boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Chop about 1/2 cup onion, one jalapeno, one large clove garlic.
- Cook: In large pan, heat some veg. oil. Add onion, pepper, and garlic. Cook for about 30 seconds and add chicken. Cook until chicken is done. Add one 15 oz can chicken broth (half a can would have been good), about 2 - 2-1/2 cups beans + juice, cumin (1 tsp), salt (1/4 tsp), oregano (1/4 tsp), about one cup chicken gravy*. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Serve: Spoon into bowls. Top with shredded cheddar. Continually correct family when they call it soup.

It was pretty good and was a nice change of pace from the tomato/corn/chip thing. It was a little thinner than ideal. It was really good with some corn bread crumbled in it.

*I know this probably sounds weird. It does to me anyway. I had been thinking about what should make the chili thick and I was planning on essentially making chicken gravy, when I remembered I had most of a jar of gravy in the fridge. You can never go wrong by adding gravy.

No comments: