Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Chili Beef and Pintos with Dumplings


As the roast and beans were cooking yesterday afternoon, I made one realization and one decision: I forgot to set the crock pot to high instead of low, and, I should make cornmeal dumplings. So, at 4:30, just one hour before dinnertime, I upped the switch to high. It was enough to cook the beans thoroughly. I used a recipe from a cookbook for the cornmeal dumplings:

Stir together 1/2 cup flour, 1/3 cup cornmeal, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1 tsp. baking powder, and a dash black pepper. In a separate bowl stir together 1 egg, 2 Tbsp. milk and 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil. Pour the wet into the dry and mix just until moist. I took the roast out first, then dropped the dough in small balls into the beans, and re-covered the pot. While the dumplings cooked (about 10 minutes), I sliced the roast. Everything tasted fine. The meat was lacking in flavor, though. I'll add more seasoning next time. And I doubt I'll make the dumplings again, though I'm glad I tried them. I fed 2 adults and 2 kids and had about half the roast, 2/3 the dumplings, and about 5 cups of beans left. My plan is to make refried beans for some burritos.

No comments: