Monday, October 20, 2008

Chili Beef and Pintos

Last week I had guests for a couple days. They shared in my bean experiment and I will fill you in on details later--even if only by repeating the recipe later because it was very good. But today I have pinto beans (since it was the only dry bean in the house). The savory and spicy smell in my house right now is the result of: one beef chuck roast (2 - 2-1/2 lbs.), 1 pound pinto beans, chopped onion, minced garlic, coarsely chopped jalapeno, salt, chili powder, and cumin. And of course I dumped water on top of it all (6 cups). I actually forgot to rinse the beans before dumping them into the pot on top of the roast. So I spooned most of them out into a colander, rinsed, and returned them to the pot. I don't think it will kill us.
You can judge by the pictures how much of everything I used. It was half a large onion and I would guess one tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. chili powder, and 1/4 tsp cumin.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

No comments: